WHAT IS CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING?

Natural gas and LPG require a certain amount of oxygen to burn correctly, but inadequate ventilation of gas appliances can create a serious health hazard, know as carbon monoxide poisoning can even be fatal. Every cubicle of natural gas needs 10 cubic metres of air for complete combustion. LPG requires 24 cubic metres of air. Too little air causes incomplete combustion which produces carbon monoxide.  READ MORE

Most indoor gas appliances use the air within the room for the oxygen that they need to burn gas. If the room doesn’t have enough ventilation to allow fresh air into the room, the amount of oxygen available will be depleted and other gases will build up. Indoor gas appliances are designed and tested to operate safely in an indoor environment. They may be power flued, natural draught flued or un-flued appliances. Power flued appliances draw air from within a room and then use a fan or other powered system to push air and combustion products into the same room. Un-flued and natural draught flue systems should not be installed in small rooms (eg bathrooms) or rooms used for sleeping, due to the risk of toxic levels of carbon monoxide building up. When flued systems are installed in other rooms, they must have permanent ventilation outside.
Johnson Gas can provide this service.  

Carbon Monoxide – the silent killer

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is very difficult to detect. It is toxic to animals and humans when encountered in large concentrations. It is produced when any fossil fuel burns incompletely.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous lethal gas that can occur when cooking or heating appliances are not properly maintained.
HOW CAN I PREVENT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IN MY HOME?
Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

Johnson Gas - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page image of air quality testing equipment in use.
Johnson Gas - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning page image of air quality testing equipment in use.

Carbon Monoxide – the silent killer

Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas that is very difficult to detect. It is toxic to animals and humans when encountered in large concentrations. It is produced when any fossil fuel burns incompletely.
Carbon monoxide is a poisonous lethal gas that can occur when cooking or heating appliances are not properly maintained.
HOW CAN I PREVENT CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IN MY HOME?
Have your heating system, water heater and any other gas appliances serviced by a qualified technician every year.

Got Any Questions? Get in touch

If you’re not sure your gas appliance is safe, make contact with Johnson Gas today!

SEND US A MESSAGE